The elderly population is one of the most high-risk groups for developing severe symptoms from Coronavirus. If you have a loved one in Assisted Living or a Nursing Home, here is what you should be asking:
- Ask for a copy of the policies and procedures that have been put in place to protect residents.
- What accommodations are being done so I can communicate with my loved one?
- Are you having staffing shortages? What are you doing to replace sick staff members?
- Will you inform me if a staff member or resident has or is suspected of having exposure to COVID-19?
- If my loved one must leave for an “essential” appointment, will he or she be able to return?
In these unprecedented times, you need to ensure that that your elderly loved one’s continued safety and well-being is a top priority. Since care providers are also on the frontlines of exposure, we encourage you to let them know if they have been doing a good job and thank them for it. We are in this together.