Kate Bartell Nowak practices in all three of the firm’s practice areas: estate planning, elder law and business planning. In addition, she helps business clients with employment law. Kate was a Norman Bradley Scholarship Recipient, and graduated in the top 10% of her law class. She went to law school to help people; and now in private practice, she finds that helping individuals, families, and businesses purposefully plan to achieve goals and protect what matters most incredibly rewarding. When it comes to employment law, Kate focuses on planning that sets the business and the employees up for success and to address employee related issues before they occur. A proactive approach helps the employer foster a positive and engaging workplace culture, attract and keep employees, and also reduces future legal liability for employment related claims. There is no greater resource for a business than its team of employees, so success in employment law planning has a ripple effect in not only the business, but also in the lives of employees and the communities they work in. Drawing heavily on her own past experience of serving as In-House Counsel for the Sioux Falls School District, Kate is uniquely qualified and prides herself on delivering holistic and practical advice when helping clients. Whether it is helping individuals, families or businesses, Kate is dedicated to providing exceptional legal services to each and every client and helping them plan for today and tomorrow. Kate is also a devoted mother of two lively children, two dogs, and a busy husband. In her free time, Kate loves to travel and just be with her family.
After graduating from the University of Denver with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, I continued my education and graduated from the University of Colorado, Denver with a Master of Public Administration. In 2013, I earned my law degree from the University of Denver Sturm School of Law, where I was a teaching and research assistant. Prior to joining Legacy Law Firm in 2021, I worked at the Sioux Falls School District as in-house legal counsel for five years and taught law related classes at Southeast Technical College.
- Who do I admire most? My grandfather (now deceased) who dropped out of high school to help support his family and then later earned his PH.D. and became a school superintendent. He taught me the power of determination.
- Little known fact about me? I have lived in Colorado, Maryland, Nebraska, and South Dakota
- I enjoy challenging myself by regularly trying out new hobbies
Some of my favorites are:
- Food – Brunch
- Movie – Wolf of Wallstreet, Disneynature’s Elephant
- Book – Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Song – Let it Be by The Beatles
- Place – My parent’s house in Colorado
Areas of Practice
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Business Succession Planning
- Employment Law
- Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts & Asset Protection Planning
- South Dakota
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D.)
- University of Colorado Denver, Public Administration (M.P.A.)
- University of Denver (B.A., Psychology)
- South Dakota Bar Association
- American Bar Association