National Trust Planning… The South Dakota Trust Haven
Finding a safe and trustworthy haven to protect what you have worked hard to build and for the people you love should not be an afterthought. South Dakota is well-known for being a tax haven, an asset protection haven, and a dynasty haven. Become educated on why South Dakota should be your trust haven.
South Dakota Trust Attorneys • Serving Clients Nationally
We help families and attorneys across the nation with reviewing, forming, or modifying trusts to accomplish their asset protection, tax and wealth planning goals. South Dakota has gained the reputation of being a domestic mini-Switzerland to protect assets. To find out more about South Dakota’s white glove approach to asset protection planning, you can read “South Dakota Asset Protection Trust: Protecting Your Assets in the New Normal World,” “South Dakota Asset Protection Trusts 101,” or “South Dakota Dynasty Trusts.” There are numerous advantages of setting up a trust in South Dakota.
Why should you have a trust in South Dakota?
- South Dakota has the top-rated trust, tax, asset protection and privacy laws in the United States (#1 trust jurisdiction in all categories by Trusts & Estates magazine in 2020)
- South Dakota has no income tax, so your trust can grow free of state income taxation
- South Dakota is the top state for bank assets and according to the FDIC had $3.27 trillion in 2019
- South Dakota has a constitutional prohibition against estate and inheritance taxes
- South Dakota has had a balanced budget since statehood
- South Dakota is the only state that has 100% funded pension
- During COVID-19, South Dakota did not shut down business or commerce and has proven itself fiscally sound and stable when compared to other states
- South Dakota has among the lowest unemployment rates in the United States
- South Dakota has the top decanting statutes in the country and has Special Spousal Trusts for tax planning
Unparalleled Planning Opportunities
Income Tax Planning
- Special Spousal Property Trusts
- Non-Grantor Trusts
- Pass-Thru Business Deduction Planning
- Installment Planning
- Special Purpose Entities
Estate Tax Planning
- Dynasty Trusts
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts
- Hybrid Trusts
Asset Protection Planning
- Domestic Asset Protection Trusts
- Inheritance Protection Trusts
- Dynasty Purpose Trusts
- Entity Planning
- Quiet Trusts
- Flexible Reformation/Modifications
Why Use Legacy?
You need a seasoned advisor. Jayna Voss is inducted to the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, AV® Preeminent™ peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, recognized in Great Plains Super Lawyers® (only 5% of attorneys in South Dakota earn Super Lawyer status), and recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of trusts and estates; a member of the American Bar Association; Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council; and is admitted to the South Dakota Bar, Iowa Bar, and North Dakota Bar and the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota.
Call Us If…
- You have worked hard during your life and you want to make sure some of that stays protected.
- You love your family and want to make sure they are provided for.
- You are a nice person.
Do NOT Call Us If…
- You are trying to evade creditors or taxes (FYI, this website is informational only and does not provide legal advice…but you probably can guess that’s illegal).
- You do not love your family.
- You are not a nice person (the clients we work with are awesome people and we want to keep it that way).
- The Great American Tax Haven: Why the Super Rich Love South Dakota Trust Laws
- U.S. Tax Havens: The New Switzerland
- Billionaire Divorce Shines Light on South Dakota Trusts
- California Child Support Order Not Enforced Against South Dakota Trust
- South Dakota: Tax Haven on the Prairie
- Why South Dakota is a Tax Haven for the Rich
- Steve Oshins 11th Annual Domestic Asset Protection Trust State Rankings Chart
- Steve Oshins 7th Annual Trust Decanting State Rankings Chart
- Steve Oshins 8th Annual Dynasty Trust State Rankings Chart