Ryan Fargen practices in both estate planning and business planning. Ryan also brings an intellectual property background and is a registered patent attorney. He was a Jayhawk Scholarship Recipient and received a certificate in Media and Technology Law while at law school. He is a Brookings South Dakota native and has always considered himself a problem solver. Previously, he solved problems for six years as an industrial engineer where he worked with customers and production teams to ensure quality and efficiency. After law school he solved client’s problems related to intellectual property by providing guidance and securing patent and trademark protection for individuals and businesses . Ryan has always enjoyed his work most when it is collaborative and to the benefit of others. He has found estate and business planning to be a natural fit with his personality and goals because clients leave with a top-quality plan allowing them the peace of mind from being heard and understood. Ryan has a unique perspective on the challenges found in estate and business planning and tries to use that perspective to solve the technical and complex needs of our clients. He welcomes all questions and concerns and wants to make sure our clients are comfortable and at ease when trusting Legacy Law Firm to be their estate planning and business planning partner.
Ryan graduated Brookings High School and proceeded to Iowa State University to study Engineering. He graduated in 2008 with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial & Manufacturing Systems and went to work in Des Moines, Iowa. He worked for six years as an engineer at a company supplying parts for the world’s leader in farm equipment. Wanting to grow his skills to better help manufacturers and businesses, he decided to apply to law school to pursue a career as a patent attorney. He attended University of Kansas School of Law where he focused on intellectual property. While in law school he worked as an intern at the campus museum where he provided guidance on copyright risks and contract review. After law school, Ryan took the patent bar and became a registered patent attorney, he then worked as an intellectual property attorney in South Dakota with a focus on patents and trademarks. He is licensed to practice law in South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- South Dakota
- Registered Patent Attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Taking care of client’s needs helping clients find peace of mind regarding their estate and protectable assets.
- Working with people on a personal level to make sure that both their legal and personal concerns are heard and addressed to provide a sense of security for them, their family and their businesses.
- Helping individuals protect their assets and ideas to ensure that their past efforts are properly protected for future benefit and enjoyment.
- Providing clear and specific answers to the complex and technical areas of the law to raise comfort and understanding of how to best reach their goals.
- Likely focusing on estate and business planning.
- Enjoy raising awareness and understanding of intellectual property assets such as patents, trademarks and copyrights.
- Worked as an Industrial Engineer for 6 years in Des Moines Iowa after undergrad and before law school.
- Focused on quality control and manufacturing processes.
- During law school I interned with the museum to assess copyright risks and review contracts
- I am an avid, but below average, golfer and woodworker.
- I enjoy reading and listening to music in my free time.
- I follow college football and basketball along with professional hockey.