Sara E. Show
I grew up in South Dakota and received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Honors College at South Dakota State University graduating magna cum laude. I went to law school and graduated from the University of South Dakota School of Law in 2009. While in law school, I received the Robert Warder Scholarship and was awarded the Dean’s Award for highest grades in several subjects. I spent two summers interning at the United States’ Attorney’s Office for the District of South Dakota.
After law school, I had the honor of clerking for ten judges in the Second Judicial Circuit of South Dakota, which covers both Minnehaha and Lincoln Counties. I then joined Johnson, Heidepriem & Abdallah, LLP as an associate. In 2013, I became a deputy state’s attorney for Minnehaha County working primarily in the civil section of the State’s Attorney’s Office. As Deputy State’s Attorney, I was able to gain appellate experience and worked on complex property issues as lead counsel for the Minnehaha County Planning and Zoning Department. In November 2016, I returned to private practice at Johnson, Janklow, Abdallah, & Reiter, LLP working on trust and estate litigation as well as insurance bad faith litigation. I became a partner at Johnson, Janklow, Abdallah & Reiter, LLP in 2018. In 2022, I joined Legacy Law Firm, P.C. where I practice in all three of the Firm’s practice areas: estate planning, elder law, and business planning. Additionally, I represent clients who need assistance in the probate process.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts & Asset Protection Planning
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Business Organizations & Transactions
- Business Succession Planning
- South Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of South Dakota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Honors and Awards
- Named in the 2018-2022 editions of Benchmark's 40 & Under list
- University of South Dakota School of Law
- South Dakota State University, Magna cum laude
Pro Bono Activities
- XLH Network, Inc., Board of Directors, January 2018-December 2022
- Co-Chair of the South Dakota Pattern Jury Instruction Committee
- Successfully argued to South Dakota Supreme Court that certain personnel records should not be open to inspection unless a three-factor test was satisfied. See Milstead v. Smith, 2016 S.D. 55, 883 N.W.2d 711; Milstead v. Johnson, 2016 S.D. 56, 883 N.W.2d 725.
- Successfully obtained intermediate appellate review from the South Dakota Supreme Court and assisted in obtaining a favorable opinion that the Court should part ways with a test used for over 40 years and adopt a new standard when reviewing a defendant’s confession. See State v. Plastow, 2015 S.D. 100, 873 N.W.2d 227.
Getting to Know Me
- I enjoy spending my free time with my husband, two children and dog
- I am an avid football, soccer and baseball fan
- I have a second degree blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do
- I enjoy growing peppers and herbs indoors all year round
- Food – Chicken or Pizza
- Movie – Secondhand Lions
- Book – To Kill a Mockingbird
- Song – Anything by Matchbox Twenty
- Place – Home or Maui, Hawaii