Bobbi L. Thury
Bobbi Thury is known for asset protection planning, whether it’s for high net-worth clients or to shelter assets for those running out of money in a nursing home. She is a board-certified Estate Planning Law Specialist by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils as well as an Accredited Estate Planner®, which is awarded only to estate planning professionals who meet special requirements of education, experience, knowledge, professional reputation, and character.
Bobbi is also the only board-Certified Elder Law Attorney certified by the National Elder Law Foundation in South Dakota, she is accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs, a member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners and the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Bobbi has gone through the educational process of the certified value growth advisors and certified exit planner advisors for family or privately held businesses, and along with her Juris Doctor, she also has a Master in Business Administration and is a member of the State Bar of South Dakota’s Business Law Committee. Bobbi was the State Bar of South Dakota Young Lawyer of the Year, Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star, and Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished.
Bobbi is highly regarded in the region for her experience in asset protection planning, complex estate planning, and business planning. Bobbi takes a hands-on and holistic approach to helping clients plan. Whether it is a simple Will and incapacity documents to intricate asset protection for individuals or strategic business planning, she has a sincere commitment to ensuring the utmost care for clients and providing personal service.
After graduating from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Sciences, I continued my education and graduated from the University of South Dakota Beacom School of Business with a Master of Business Administration. In 2007, I graduated from the University of South Dakota School of Law. While I was in law school I was a member of the South Dakota Law Review, serving as the Managing Editor from 2006 to 2007. Following law school, I clerked for the South Dakota Second Judicial Circuit. Before co-founding Legacy Law Firm, P.C. I was a Partner at Cutler Law Firm, LLP.
I am currently involved with national organizations as well as local, and have presented educational seminars for the National Business Institute, the State Bar of South Dakota, and the University of South Dakota School of Law.
My husband, Chad, and I have been blessed with four children who keep us on our toes. In our spare time, we go back “home” to Parkston, South Dakota, and enjoy helping with the family cattle business and being outdoors.
I cannot imagine anything better than helping clients protect themselves and their families in case of disability or death, achieving their dreams of starting a business or turning its keys over to the next generation, or solidifying a lasting legacy. Proper planning not only provides financial benefits for clients, but also strengthens families and businesses for generations to come.
- South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota
Honors & Awards
- State Bar of South Dakota Young Lawyer of the Year
- Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Sales & Marketing Executives, Inc. Young Women of Excellence Award
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished Leadership South Dakota Graduate
- Leadership Sioux Falls Graduate
- Certified Elder Law Attorney certified by the National Elder Law Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council
- Estate Planning Law Specialist
- Accredited Estate Planner® (AEP®)
- Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, Elder Law Committee, and the Business Law Committee of the State Bar of South Dakota
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Probate and Trust Law section of the Minnesota State Bar Association
- Greater Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Past Chair
- LifeScape Foundation Board Member
- Hope Coalition Board Member
- Make-A-Wish South Dakota Past Board Member
- Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation, Past Grants Committee Member
- Sioux Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation Past Board Member
- Sioux Falls Sports Authority Past Board Member
Getting to Know Me
- I have done volunteer service work on four continents
- When I am not spending time with my Legacy Family, I cherish every minute I get to spend with my own family
- Our family has a 7th member who has nine lives, a goldfish named Fishy-Fish
- Food – Wagyu Kobe Steak
- Movie – Gladiator
- Book – I can’t pick as there are too many great books out there!
- Music Video – The Dance by Garth Brooks
- Song – Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- Place – Geography doesn’t matter – as long as I’m with my family
"We have a unique situation in which we needed to provide for an elder. Bobbi Thury clearly explained, all our options during our initial visit."